Coming out of your home, workplace, or anywhere else to find your car gone can be one of the most devastating and expensive experiences you can have. Fortunately, Premier Insurance Advisors, serving Hilton Head Island, SC, has a few suggestions to make it less likely that your vehicle will be stolen.
- Always lock your doors, and never leave the engine running when you dash inside to pick up something at the store. A remarkable number of people fail to follow this advice, making their cars prime targets for thieves.
- Equip your car with an anti-theft device. Such devices can include a car alarm or a metal device called a club that locks the steering wheel. Consider getting a tracking device, such as LoJack, which will help the police recover your stolen vehicle quickly, hopefully before it is dismantled in a chop shop.
- You should also park in a well-lit part of the parking lot that is covered with a security camera, if possible. Car thieves don’t like being seen and especially being recorded when they work.
- Don’t put your valuables, such as shopping bags or purses, on the seat in full view. That is what your trunk is for. A thief who smashes your window to get at your stuff may not make off with your vehicle, but he might and, in any case, you would have a repair bill to contend with.
- You should consider having your VIN number etched on your windows. A thief stealing your car to resell in whole or for parts will think twice if he thinks the vehicle can be easily traced.
For information on auto insurance, feel free to contact Premier Insurance Advisors, serving Hilton Head Island, SC.